Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card is the most luxurious Delta credit card available. The card will do a lot to help you lock in free upgrades on Delta flights. Plus it includes many more great Delta benefits including first checked bag free for you and up to eight companions, priority boarding, Bonus MQMs, and more. It also comes along with a full suite of travel benefits including airport lounge access (when flying Delta), Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, lost luggage insurance, and more!
- Credit: Good credit needed
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards. No Preset Spending Limit* cards are not included in this rule and do not get counted.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to - and including- 5 Amex credit cards (including personal and business), but this rule isn’t always enforced (please note the total of 5 credit cards excludes some Amex cards that are No Preset Spending Limit* cards like the Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, etc)
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Amex card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Amex is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report. With the new "Apply With Confidence" feature, Amex will first do only a soft pull on your credit report and will let you know if approved or not. Only after you accept the approval will Amex do a hard pull on your credit (this feature is currently only available on Amex consumer cards. See more details below)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
- Downgrade options: The Delta Reserve card can be downgraded to the Delta Platinum ($250), or to the Delta Gold ($99), or to the Delta Blue ($0). Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $3,700-$18,700
Avg. Credit limit$10,267
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
No foreign transaction fee.
Get 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 within a calendar year, up to 4 times.
Get an MQD waiver for Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion Status after spending $25,000 in a calendar year. You can also receive an MQD waiver for Diamond Status after spending $250,000 within a calendar year. (You will still need to reach the qualifying amount of MQMs or MQS to receive the upgraded status).
Upgrade priority for upgrades within your status class.
Free checked bag for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation. To qualify, make sure to include your SkyMiles number on your reservation.
New! Get a 15% discount when booking an award flight on Delta using your Delta Miles. Points are worth a minimum of 1 cent per mile on Delta flights when you book flights with the Pay With Miles program.
Earn a free annual companion certificate. The certificate is valid for any domestic round-trip, first-class, Delta Comfort, or main cabin travel booked in fare classes I, Z, L, U, T, X or V. You will need to pay the companions taxes and fees. Max $75.
Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check every 4-4.5 years.
Access to Delta Sky Club (when flying Delta) plus, two one time guest passes each year, plus get access to Centurion Lounges or Escape Lounge (when flying Delta).
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per person per trip, max $20,000 per year for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more. non-refundable flight tickets.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days. (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand) Max $75,000. You can purchase a premium plan from Amex that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get covered for lost or damaged luggage up to $500 per person for checked baggage and up to $1,250 per person for carry-on baggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
If your flight is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items. Up to 2 claims per year.
Not happy with a purchase? Get a refund on purchases that have passed the store return policy - up to 90 days from date of purchase. Max $300 per claim, max $1,000 per year.
Get one additional year to your original manufacturer's warranty time. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get reimbursed for up to $800 per claim (with a $50 deductible) if your cell phone is damaged or gets stolen. To activate coverage, you need to pay your monthly cell phone bill with your Delta Reserve credit card. Max 2 claims per year.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, lost, or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get complimentary priority boarding on Delta flights.
Receive a 20% discount on inflight purchases.
The points can be used at approximately 1 penny per point to book award flights with one of the following Delta airline partners:
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air France
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- Czech Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- ITA Airways
- Kenya Airways
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- Saudia Airlines
- Tarom Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Xiamen Airlines
You can book award flights using your Delta miles with Delta airlines and its partners here.
To book award flights with the following Delta airline partners call 1-800-323-2323:
- Air Europa
- Air Tahiti Nui
- Czech Airlines
- Kenya Airways
The Delta redemption scheme is completely revenue-based now for all redemptions, both on its own metal and the partners’.
There are no predictable sweet spots, or even predictable good redemptions anymore, and Delta also adds fuel surcharges to many of its partners. However, since there are people (me included) who still have miles in the Delta SkyMiles program, here is what we can do in the confines of this extremely overpriced program.
Look for domestic coach awards
Even though Delta award tickets are revenue-based, there is no single formula that would explain why some awards price higher once others price lower even though they might cost about the same in cash. So whenever you need a cheap domestic ticket, check Delta first. While I have no love for its loyalty program, it’s just a better airline operationally, and when the price is right, it’s a win-win. I prefer flying on Delta to both American or United, although not to JetBlue.
Check Delta Flash Sales
Delta rarely has Business Class tickets on sale, but their so-called flash sales can be dirt-cheap, so when you see an email touting Delta flash sales, don’t rush to discard it. You might find something in there worth checking.