Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The American Express Gold Delta Skymiles card is great for those traveling Delta as you get 2 points on Delta purchases, restaurants, and U.S. supermarkets, and 1 point everywhere else. More Delta benefits include a free first checked bag and priority boarding. If you pay for flights with the Miles Program you are guaranteed to get a minimum value of 1.0 cents per mile on Delta flights. Amex will protect you as you travel, with insurances including baggage insurance, free foreign transactions, auto rental insurance, and more. You will also be protected with the Amex purchase protection, extended warranty protection, and more.
- Credit: Fair credit is ok
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to - and including- 5 Amex credit cards (including personal and business), but this rule isn’t always enforced (please note the total of 5 credit cards excludes some Amex cards that are No Preset Spending Limit* cards like the Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, etc)
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
- Downgrade options: The Delta Gold card can be downgraded to the Delta Blue card ($0). Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $10-$25,000
Avg. Credit limit$7,672
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
No foreign transaction fee.
Free checked bag for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation. To qualify, make sure to include your SkyMiles number on your reservation.
Get a $100 Delta flight credit after spending $10,000 within a calendar year.
Points are worth a minimum of 1 cent per mile on Delta flights when you book flights with the Pay With Miles program.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase a premium plan from Amex that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get up to $500 per person for lost or damaged luggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get complimentary priority boarding on Delta flights.
Receive a 20% discount on inflight purchases.