Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Amex Gold Card is a great card for the everyday mom. It earns you 4 points on purchases from US supermarkets (up to $25,000 spent annually) and 4 points at restaurants. You will also earn a $10 statement credit monthly on purchases at select restaurants. Next up is travel with 3 points earned on flights booked directly with Amex, The super benefits and protections include trip delay insurance, baggage insurance, auto rental coverage, purchase protection and extended warranty protection.
- Credit: Fair credit is ok
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to-and including- 10 Amex No Preset Spending Limit* cards. (This rule is not always enforced)
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
- Downgrade options: The Amex Gold Consumer card can be downgraded to the Amex Green Consumer ($150). Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
Recent Approvals and Denials (as submitted by Help Me Build Credit users)
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
No foreign transaction fee.
Get $10 Uber cash credits each month, totaling $120 a year, once this card is added to your Uber account. Credits can be used for UberEats orders or Uber rides in the US.
Get $10 statement credits per month, totaling $120 a year, for purchases at Grub hub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake Shack (not all locations), and Boxed.com.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase an Amex premium plan that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get up to $500 per person for lost or damaged luggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $300 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items. Max 2 claims per year.
Get one additional year to your original manufacturer's warranty time. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, lost, or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.