Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Amex Green card is designed as an in between luxury / basic travel card. You will earn 3 points on travel, restaurants, and transit purchases. Plus up to $200 in travel credits by the biometric airport screening service CLEAR, and LoungeBuddy. Benefits include no foreign transaction fees, lost luggage insurance, auto rental insurance, and more.
- Credit: Recommended good credit
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to-and including- 10 Amex No Preset Spending Limit* cards. (This rule is not always enforced)
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Amex card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Amex is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report. With the new "Apply With Confidence" feature, Amex will first do only a soft pull on your credit report and will let you know if approved or not. Only after you accept the approval will Amex do a hard pull on your credit (this feature is currently only available on Amex consumer cards. See more details below)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
- Downgrade options: The Amex Green Consumer card cannot be downgraded to a card with no annual fee.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
No foreign transaction fee.
Get a $189 credit per calendar year when you pay for your CLEAR membership with your card.
Get up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on LoungeBuddy purchases.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase a premium plan from Amex that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get covered for lost or damaged luggage up to $500 per person for checked baggage and up to $1,250 per person for carry-on baggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $300 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items. Up to 2 claims per year.
Get one additional year to your original manufacturer's warranty time. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
The following are your options for redeeming Amex Points for cashback:
- Use points for a statement credit at 0.6 cents per point (very poor value)
- If you have The American Express Platinum Card for Schwab ($695) you can use your points to transfer to your Chares Schwab account at 1.1 cents per point
- If you have The Business Platinum Card from American Express ($695) you can transfer your points to your Amex Business checking account at 1 cent per point
- If you have the Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum ($695) you can deposit your points to your Morgan Stanley account at 1 cent per point
You can use your points to book airfare, hotels, car rentals, and more on Amex Travel. You will get 1 penny per point for flights and 0.7 cents per point towards all other travel.
If you have the The Business Platinum Card from American Express then you can get 35% of your points back when booking a flight on Amex Travel (up to 1,00,000 points back per calendar year).
In order to qualify for the 35% points back promo, the flight needs to be one of the following:
- Flights booked on your preferred airline – this is a single airline you choose once a year in January as your preferred airline. You can choose any of the following U.S. airlines:
- You will also receive the 35% rebate when you book a first or business class ticket on any airline (regardless of the airline you choose as your preferred airline)
You can transfer your points to any of the following Amex Travel partners.
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer Time|
|Aer Lingus, AerClub||1:1||Instant|
|Cathay Pacific||1:1||Up to 1 week|
|Singapore Airlines||1:1||1-2 days|