Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is one of the best luxury travel cards. You earn an annual $300 travel credit as well as a full package of luxury benefits like airport lounge access via Priority Pass, TSA Precheck/Global Entry credit, and more. By having the Chase Sapphire Reserve card you can effectively higher the value of all your Ultimate Rewards points and receive 1.5 cents per point towards any travel booked on the Chase Travel portal. Check out more details about the benefits below.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is one of the most recommended cards for someone traveling often and looking for luxury benefits. The annual fee may seem like a lot at $550, but the travel credit that you get each cardmember year, knocks off $300 of it. If you are anyway spending $300 on travel a year, then after the $300 credit the fee is down to $250. Plus, your points are worth 50% more when redeemed for travel through Chase Travel. So as long as you are redeeming another 50,000 points per year to book travel on Chase Travel, then it is enough to pay out the rest of the annual fee. And all the luxury benefits that the card offers turn out to be complimentary! I personally have this card because I redeem a lot more than 50k points through Chase Travel a year. It comes out very valuable for me to have the card just for this benefit alone.
- Credit: Excellent credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more personal cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Double dipping: If you have any Sapphire card currently open (Reserve, Preferred, or the plain Sapphire) or if you received a welcome bonus on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months then Chase will not approve you for a new Sapphire card (regardless of which Sapphire card you apply for). You can close or product change the card and apply for a new one after approx 48-72 hours (As long as you did not receive a welcome offer on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined.
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login). You can also request Chase to overnight your physical card by calling Chase customer service.
- Downgrade options: The Chase Sapphire Reserve card can be downgraded to the Sapphire Preferred ($95), Freedom Unlimited ($0), Freedom Flex ($0), or to the Sapphire ($0) - only available via product change. Please note, Chase will only allow you to downgrade the card after 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $6,000-$65,000
Avg. Credit limit$19,810
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
No foreign transaction fee.
Emerald Club Executive status
Avis Preferred status
Special Silvercar privileges
Get a $300 travel credit each cardmember year.
From April 2022 through December 2024: Get a $5 credit each month for DoorDash. The credit gets added to your DoorDash wallet and expires after 3 months (it is be possible to combine three months' credits for a single $15 order)
Get a $15 Instacart statement credit each month plus a free Instacart+ membership for 12 months
Points are worth 50% more when redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Get a statement credit for Global Entry, TSA Precheck, or NEXUS every 4 years.
Access to 1,200+ airport lounges, with a complimentary membership to Priority Pass Select.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per trip for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more.
Worldwide primary coverage on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days, Max $75,000 per rental.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $1,000,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
If your flight is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
Not happy with a purchase? Get a refund on purchases that have passed the store return policy - up to 90 days from date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, max $1,000 per year.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 5 days.
Get 4 free roadside service calls valued up to $50 each per year.
Get covered $2,500 with a $50 deductible for any medical expense while traveling 100+ miles from your home (trip must include travel on a common carrier).
The points can be redeemed as cashback for 1 penny per point.
You can redeem 1.5 cents per point on Chase Travel, to book flights, car rentals, hotels, and more.
You can transfer your points to any of the following Chase Travel Partners.
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer Time|
|Aer Lingus, AerClub||1:1||Instant|
|Air Canada, Aeroplan||1:1||Instant|
|British Airways, Avios||1:1||Instant|
|Iberia, Iberia Plus||1:1||Instant|
|Singapore Airlines, KrisFlyer||1:1||12-24 hours|
|Southwest, Rapid Rewards||1:1||Instant|
|United Airlines, MilagePlus||1:1||Instant|
|Hyatt, World Of Hyatt||1:1||Instant|
|IHG, Rewards Club||1:1||1 day|
|Marriott, Bonvoy||1:1||2 days|
You can also Pay Yourself Back by paying for purchases on your card and offsetting the purchases with points. You can get 1.25 cents per point (This is a new value as of January 2023).
This can only be done on purchases within certain categories, and Chase constantly changes the eligible categories. Current categories until 12/31/23 are:
- Gas stations
- Annual fee
- Select charities (Get 1.50 cents per point)