Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve has your back, ensuring you get your money's worth if you ever run into a mishap during traveling. This card gives you an annual $300 travel credit as well as a full package of luxury benefits. By having the Chase Sapphire Reserve card you can effectively higher the value of all your Ultimate Rewards points and receive 1.5 cents per point towards any travel booked on the Chase Travel portal.
- Credit: Excellent credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Double dipping: If you have any Sapphire card currently open (Reserve, Preferred, or the plain Sapphire) or if you received a welcome bonus on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months then Chase will not approve you for a new Sapphire card (regardless of which Sapphire card you apply for). You can close or product change the card and apply for a new one after approx 48-72 hours (As long as you did not receive a welcome offer on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined. More recent data points suggest that Chase credit inquiries will not be combined even for two Personal or two Business cards for same-day applications
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login). You can also request Chase to overnight your physical card by calling Chase customer service.
- Downgrade options: The Chase Sapphire Reserve card can be downgraded to the Sapphire Preferred ($95), Freedom Unlimited ($0), Freedom Flex ($0), or to the Sapphire ($0) - only available via product change. Please note, Chase will only allow you to downgrade the card after 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $5,600-$65,000
Avg. Credit limit$19,440
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
No foreign transaction fee.
Emerald Club Executive status
Avis Preferred status
Special Silvercar privileges
Get a $300 travel credit each cardmember year.
Starting in April 2022 through December 2024: Get a $5 credit each month for DoorDash. The credit will be added to your Doordash wallet and will expire after 3 months (seems like it will be possible to combine three months' credits for a single $15 order)
Points are worth 50% more when redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Get a statement credit for Global Entry, TSA Precheck, or NEXUS every 4 years.
Access to 1,200+ airport lounges, with a complimentary membership to Priority Pass Select.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per trip for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more.
Worldwide primary coverage on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days, Max $75,000 per rental.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $1,000,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
If your flight is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
Not happy with a purchase? Get a refund on purchases that have passed the store return policy - up to 90 days from date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, max $1,000 per year.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 5 days.
Get 4 free roadside service calls valued up to $50 each per year.
Get covered $2,500 with a $50 deductible for any medical expense while traveling 100+ miles from your home (trip must include travel on a common carrier).