Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is a great basic travel card. It comes along with a great suit of various travel insurances. Plus your points are worth 25% more when redeemed through the Chase Travel portal.
- Credit: Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Double dipping: If you have any Sapphire card currently open (Reserve, Preferred, or the plain Sapphire) or if you received a welcome bonus on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months then Chase will not approve you for a new Sapphire card (regardless of which Sapphire card you apply for). You can close or product change the card and apply for a new one after approx 48-72 hours (As long as you did not receive a welcome offer on any Sapphire card within the past 48 months)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined. More recent data points suggest that Chase credit inquiries will not be combined even for two Personal or two Business cards for same-day applications
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login). You can also request Chase to overnight your physical card by calling Chase customer service.
- Downgrade options: The Chase Sapphire Preferred card can be downgraded to Freedom Unlimited ($0), Freedom Flex ($0), or to the Sapphire ($0) - only available via product change. Please note, Chase will only allow you to downgrade the card after 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $4,000-$40,000
Avg. Credit limit$11,142
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
-New! 5 points on travel booked through Chase travel
- 5 points on Lyft rides
-New! 3 points on dining, streaming services, and online grocery excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs
- 2 points on all other travel
- 1 point on all other purchases
No foreign transaction fee.
Get a $50 annual hotel credit each cardmember year. The hotel booking must be made through the Chase Travel Portal. Existing Chase cardholders will get the $50 credit on their upcoming anniversary year.
New! Get a $15 Instacart statement credit each quarter plus a free Instacart+ membership for 6 months
Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per person for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more.
Worldwide primary coverage on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time-matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, or stolen for up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim $50,000 per year.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 5 days.
Get roadside service assistance for $59.95 per call.
New! Get 10% anniversary bonus points when you renew your card. Chase will give you an extra 10% in points of what you spend; for spending $25,000 you’d get 2,500 in bonus points.