Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Amex Everyday Preferred card is great for everyday spending, earning up to 4.5 points on groceries up to 3 points on gas, and up to 1.5 points on all purchases! It comes along with a decent package of shopping benefits including return protection, purchase protection, and more!
- Credit: Good credit needed
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to - and including- 5 Amex credit cards (including personal and business), but this rule isn’t always enforced (please note the total of 5 credit cards excludes some Amex cards that are No Preset Spending Limit* cards like the Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, etc)
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Amex card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Amex is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report. With the new "Apply With Confidence" feature, Amex will first do only a soft pull on your credit report and will let you know if approved or not. Only after you accept the approval will Amex do a hard pull on your credit (this feature is currently only available on Amex consumer cards. See more details below)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
- Downgrade options: The Amex Everyday Preferred card can be downgraded to the Amex Everyday card ($0). Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $1,000-$17,300
Avg. Credit limit$8,633
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
- Balance transfer Fee: Intro fee for 3% or $5, whichever is greater
- Balance transfers must be completed within 60 days of account opening
– 3 points on supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year
– 2 points at gas stations
– 1 point on all other purchases
– Plus, earn 50% extra points when the card is used 30 times or more within a billing cycle.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase a premium plan from Amex that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Not happy with a purchase? Get a refund on purchases that have passed the store return policy - up to 90 days from date of purchase. Max $300 per claim, max $1,000 per year.
Get one additional year to your original manufacturer's warranty time. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.