Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Amex Everyday Credit Card is exactly that- a great everyday card. Cardmembers earn 2 points for every dollar spent on groceries! Once you use your card 20 or more times you earn 20% extra points on those purchases. You get rewards for the things you would spend on in any case.
- Credit: Fair credit is ok
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to - and including- 5 Amex credit cards (including personal and business), but this rule isn’t always enforced (please note the total of 5 credit cards excludes some Amex cards that are No Preset Spending Limit* cards like the Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, etc)
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Amex card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Amex is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report. With the new "Apply With Confidence" feature, Amex will first do only a soft pull on your credit report and will let you know if approved or not. Only after you accept the approval will Amex do a hard pull on your credit (this feature is currently only available on Amex consumer cards. See more details below)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $1,000-$25,000
Avg. Credit limit$8,019
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
- Balance transfer Fee: Intro fee for 3% or $5, whichever is greater
- Balance transfers must be completed within 60 days of account opening
– 2 points at US supermarkets
– 1 point everywhere else
– Use your card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and earn 20% extra points on all purchases
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase an Amex premium plan that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
The following are your options for redeeming Amex Points for cashback:
- Use points for a statement credit at 0.6 cents per point (very poor value)
- If you have The American Express Platinum Card for Schwab ($695) you can use your points to transfer to your Chares Schwab account at 1.1 cents per point
- If you have The Business Platinum Card from American Express ($695) you can transfer your points to your Amex Business checking account at 1 cent per point
- If you have the Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum ($695) you can deposit your points to your Morgan Stanley account at 1 cent per point
You can use your points to book airfare, hotels, car rentals, and more on Amex Travel. You will get 1 penny per point for flights and 0.7 cents per point towards all other travel.
If you have the The Business Platinum Card from American Express then you can get 35% of your points back when booking a flight on Amex Travel and if you have the American Express Business Gold Card you get 25% of your points back when booking a flight on Amex Travel (up to 1,00,000 points back per calendar year).
In order to qualify for the 35% -25% points back promo, the flight needs to be one of the following:
- Flights booked on your preferred airline – this is a single airline you choose once a year in January as your preferred airline. You can choose any of the following U.S. airlines:
- You will also receive the 35%-25% rebate when you book a first or business class ticket on any airline (regardless of the airline you choose as your preferred airline)
You can transfer your points to any of the following Amex Travel partners.
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer Time|
|Aer Lingus, AerClub||1:1||Instant|
|Cathay Pacific||1:1||Up to 1 week|
|Singapore Airlines||1:1||1-2 days|
|Virgin Atlantic||1:1||1-2 days|