Advertiser Disclosure: Help Me Build Credit has partnered with advertising partners for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and our advertising partners may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned and has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the authors alone.
The card_name is great for those traveling with United. You get your first checked bag free, priority boarding, and expanded award availability. The card comes along with various great travel insurances like trip cancellation insurance, trip delay insurance, baggage delay insurance, lost luggage insurance, and more (see details below). You earn 2 miles per dollar spent on dining, hotels, and United purchases, plus, earn an unlimited 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
One of the best parts of this card is that you get expanded Savor Award availability on United flights which is a super benefit. You will get access to a certain amount of Savor Award seats available only to United cardholders. It’s hard enough to find award availability so anything to expand the award availability is super valuable. Along with the card comes 2 United Club lounge passes per cardmember year. By being a cardholder you will also get a bit of a priority to get upgraded to first or business class upon availability (this is only for United MileagePlus Premier members).
- Credit: Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: There are data points that this card is currently bypassing the 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined.
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login).
- Downgrade options: The Chase United Explorer card can be downgraded to the Chase United Gateway ($0). Please note, Chase will only allow you to downgrade the card after 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $5,000-$30,000
Avg. Credit limit$11,623
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
Worldwide primary coverage on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days.
Get your original manufacturer’s warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less).
Expanded Award Availability for travel on United Flights when booking award flights.
First checked bag free for you and one companion on United flights. Plus receive a free carry-on bag even with a basic economy ticket. The ticket must be purchased with your United credit card and your MileagePlus number must be added to the reservation.
Get a statement credit for Global Entry, TSA Precheck, or NEXUS every 4 years.
Receive 25% back (statement credit) on United in-flight purchases of wifi, food, and drinks
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
Access to United Club lounges, with 2 complimentary passes annually.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 3 days.
Get complimentary priority boarding on United flights.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $1,500 per passenger and $6,000 per trip for non-refundable flight tickets.
If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
Premier upgrades on United flights (only for Mileage Plus Premier members).
Get boosted to a higher status faster! Earn up to 1,000 bonus Premier Qualifying Points. Earn 25 PQPs for every $500 you spend with your card (up to 1,000 PQPs per calendar year).
The points can be used at approximately 1 penny per point to book award flights with one of the following United airline partners:
- United Airlines
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- Austrian Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines (SAS)
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Swiss Airlines
- TAP Portugal
- Thai Airways
You can also PayYourselfBack by paying for the annual fee on your card and offsetting the fee with points. You can get 1.52 cents per point.
United has switched to dynamic pricing almost entirely, but this “almost” thingy means there are still some remnants of normal values United once maintained in its award chart. You can still find some saver awards (which are very mediocre, at best), but the only way to find these awards is to look for your dates and destination. Fortunately, you can still see monthly calendars if you’re flexible with your dates.
Here’s why United MileagePlus is still relevant:
- You most probably have some United miles in your coffers
- United miles don’t expire
- United elite members and credit card holders have access to better Saver award space
- The United award search engine interface is easy to use
- United has a huge number of partners, which makes it easier to find Saver availability
- There are no fuel surcharges ever
- United offers a free stopover on a round-trip award ticket (Excursionist Perk)