Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The United Explorer card is great for those traveling with United. You get your first checked bag free, priority boarding, and expanded award availability. The card comes along with various great travel insurance like trip cancellation or trip delay, as well as baggage delay or lost luggage insurance. You earn 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants, hotels, and United purchases plus earn unlimited 1 mile per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Earn a total 45,000 points after a total of $10,000 spent within the first 6 months. Earn 40,000 points after $2,000 spent within the first three months. Plus, earn an additional 25,000 points after spending a total of $10,000 within the first six months
- Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
- The Chase United Explorer card can be downgraded to the Chase United Gateway ($0). Please note, Chase will only allow you to downgrade the card after 12 months of account opening.
Premier upgrades on United flights (only for Mileage Plus Premier members)
First checked bag free for you and one companion on United flights. Plus receive a free carry-on bag even with a basic economy ticket. The ticket must be purchased with your United credit card and your MileagePlus number must be added to the reservation.
Expanded Award Availability on United Flights when booking award flights
Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check every 4 years.
Access to United Club lounges, with 2 complimentary passes annually.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $1,500 per passenger and $6,000 per trip for non-refundable flight tickets.
Worldwide primary coverage on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
Get up to one additional year on top of the original manufacturer’s warranty. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less).
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 3 days.
Get complimentary priority boarding on United flights.
Receive 25% back (statement credit) on United in-flight purchases of wifi, food, and drinks