Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The United Gateway card is a basic fee United credit card. It has benefits for you to use on your trips, including trip cancellation insurance and free foreign transactions.
- Credit: Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined.
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login).
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $1,000-$18,100
Avg. Credit limit$8,143
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
– 2 points on United purchases, gas, local transit and commuting
– 1 point on all other purchases
No foreign transaction fee.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $1,500 per person, and max $6,000 per trip.
Secondary coverage on rentals when renting within your country of residence. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, $50,000 per account.
The points can be used at approximately 1 penny per point to book award flights with one of the following United airline partners:
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- Austrian Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines (SAS)
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Swiss Airlines
- TAP Portugal
- Thai Airways
- United Airlines