Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Journey Student Rewards from Capital One is a good credit card for newcomers to credit. It is a very easy credit card to get approved for even for someone new to credit. This card can work great for students learning overseas as it got no foreign transaction fees.
- Credit: You can get approved even if you are new to credit
- You don't need to be a student: You do not need to be a student to get this card
- Max cards: Capital One will only let you have a maximum of 2 personal Capital One branded credit cards. (This excludes co-branded credit cards like the Capital One Walmart Rewards card.)
- You can only get approved for 1 Capital One card every 6 months (not always enforced)
- Credit bureau: Capital One will usually pull your Experian, Transunion, and Equifax credit reports
- If you freeze one credit bureau you can still get approved (the credit bureau you freeze cannot be Transunion)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined. Note, Capital One will only approve you for one credit card application within every six months. (Combining credit inquiries will only make a difference when declined for your first try and you want to try a new one)
- Check application status: You can check your application status by calling 1 800 903 9177 or 1 877 277 5901
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 625 7866 to be reconsidered (Capital One will usually only reconsider an application due to application error)
Quickest way to get my card: Your new card will be available in your Capital One app immediately after you get approved (you might need the 3 digit security code on the back of your card to access it, which means you must wait for your physical card to arrive). Capital One physical credit cards cannot be expedited, only sometimes for replacement cards for a fee
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $300-$3,000
Avg. Credit limit$1,152
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
No foreign transaction fee.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage. Max $2,000 for NY residents.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, $50,000 per account.
The points can be redeemed as cashback for 1 penny per point.
If you only have the Student Journey card then you cannot transfer your points to any partners.
But if you also have a Capital One Miles card, such as the: Venture X, Venture, VentureOne, Spark Miles, or the Spark Miles Select, then you can transfer your points to one of these cards and then transfer your points to any of the following airline or hotel partners.
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer time|
|Aeromexico, Club Premier||1:1||Instant|
|Air Canada, Aeroplan||1:1||Instant|
|Air France KLM, Flying Blue||1:1||Instant|
|British Airways, Executive Club||1:1||Instant|
|Cathay Pacific, Asia Miles||1:1||5 business days|
|Etihad Guest||1:1||24 hours|
|EVA Infinity, MileageLands||2:1.5||36 hours|
|Qantas, Frequent Flyer||1:1||24 hours|
|Singapore Airlines, KrisFlyer||1:1||36 hours|
|TAP Portugal, Miles&Go||1:1||Instant|
|Turkish Airlines, Miles&Smiles||1:1||Instant|
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer time|
|ALL Accor||2:1||1 business day|
|Choice Privileges||1:1||Transfers will not be available until later on this year|