Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The IHG Rewards Club Traveler card is a basic hotel credit card, with a meager signup bonus. But, the good part is you do not pay a annual fee. The high reward rate of a total of 15 points on IHG purchases (when combined with a IHG rewards membership) can help you accumulate a ton of IHG points! The card also comes along with a ton of travel benefits including luggage delay insurance, auto rental insurance, and more! Plus the IHG rewards Traveler card is one of the only Chase credit cards that offers cell phone protection coverage.
- Credit: Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Double dipping: Chase will not approve you for this card if you currently have an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card, or if you have received a bonus on an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card within the last 24 months
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined. More recent data points suggest that Chase credit inquiries will not be combined even for two Personal or two Business cards for same-day applications
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Recent Approvals and Denials (as submitted by Help Me Build Credit users)
Credit limit range $2,000-$2,000
Avg. Credit limit$2,000
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
No foreign transaction fee.
Earn IHG Gold Elite status after $10,000 spent every year
Save 20% on IHG points purchased with this card. Plus receive your fourth night free when redeemed for 4 or more nights.
Coverage for max $5,000 per person per trip, and max $20,000 per year, for reimbursing non-refundable travel expenses.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 31 days.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less).
Get reimbursed for up to $800 per claim (with a $50 deductible) if your cell phone breaks or gets stolen. To activate coverage, you need to pay your monthly cell phone bill with your IHG Rewards Traveler credit card. Max 2 claims per year or $1,000.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, $50,000 per year.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 3 days.