Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card is a basic hotel credit card. But, the good part is you do not pay an annual fee. The high reward rate of a total of 17 points on IHG purchases (when combined with an IHG rewards membership) can help you accumulate a ton of IHG points! The card also comes along with a ton of travel benefits including luggage delay insurance, auto rental insurance, and more!
- Credit: Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Double dipping: Chase will not approve you for this card if you currently have an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card, or if you have received a bonus on an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card within the last 24 months
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined. More recent data points suggest that Chase credit inquiries will not be combined even for two Personal or two Business cards for same-day applications
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $2,000-$25,000
Avg. Credit limit$14,467
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
- 5 points at IHG hotels
- 3 points on dining, gas, and monthly bills (like utilities, internet, cable, phone, streaming services)
- 2 points everywhere else
No foreign transaction fee.
New! Get complimentary upgraded to IHG silver status
Earn IHG Gold Elite status after $20,000 spent every year
Use your points to book a three night stay and get the fourth night free.
Coverage for max $5,000 per person per trip, and max $20,000 per year, for reimbursing non-refundable travel expenses.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 31 days.
Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
Get your original manufacturer's warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less).
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, $50,000 per year.
If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 3 days.
New! Earn 10,000 bonus points after spending $10,000 (plus one additional purchase) each calendar year.