Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The IHG Rewards Club Traveler card is a basic hotel credit card, with a meager signup bonus. But, the good part is you do not pay a annual fee. The high reward rate of a total of 15 points on IHG purchases (when combined with a IHG rewards membership) can help you accumulate a ton of IHG points! The card also comes along with a ton of travel benefits including luggage delay insurance, auto rental insurance, and more! Plus the IHG rewards Traveler card is one of the only Chase credit cards that offers cell phone protection coverage.
- Good credit needed (you will probably need at least one credit card open for more than a year)
- Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Chase will not approve you for this card if you currently have an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card, or if you have received a bonus on an IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card within the last 24 months
- Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- If declined you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Earn IHG Gold Elite status after $10,000 spent every year
Save 20% on IHG points purchased with this card. Plus Receive your fourth night free when you redeem your points for four or more nights
Up to $5,000 per person per trip for a max of $20,000 per year to reimburse non-refundable travel expenses
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals for up to 31 days
Get coverage If you god forbid die in an accident on a Common Carrier or while traveling lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing, receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
Receive up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage
Get one additional year on top of the original manufacturer’s warranty. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less.
Get reimbursed for up to $800 per claim with a $50 deductible if your cell phone breaks or is stolen. To activate coverage you need to pay your monthly cell phone bill with your credit card. (max $1,000 or two claims per year, whichever is less).
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen for up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim ($50,000 per year)
If your baggage is delayed more than 6 hours you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries, clothing for up to 3 days.