Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The only benefit from the Bank of America secured card is that once you submit the application and depending on your credit file Bank of America might even approve you for an unsecured credit card. The Bank Of America Secured card can mature to a non secured card after a periodic review (I’m not sure how long that takes).
- Credit: Limited credit ok - newcomers welcome
- Max cards: Bank of America will only approve you for 2 Bank of America personal cards within 2 months, 3 Bank of America personal cards within 12 months, and 4 Bank of America personal cards within 24 months
- You cannot get approved for a personal Bank of America card if you have more than 5 Bank of America personal credit cards open
- BOA 2/6 cards in 12 months rule: Bank of America will not approve you for their credit card if you opened more than 2 cards in the past 12 months, even if it’s from other issuers. Except if your a BOA bank account holder, then, you can get approved even if you opened up to 6 cards in 12 months
- Credit bureau: Bank Of America will usually pull your Experian credit report (If you freeze Experian then Bank Of America will pull your TransUnion credit report)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for all Personal BOA cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, Credit inquiries for all Business BOA cards for same-day applications will be combined
- Check application status: You can check your application status here
- Reconsideration: The old reconsideration number stopped working. There is currently no reconsideration phone line that I am aware of