Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Amex Hilton Surpass Card really is the perfect card to use to rack up Hilton points! Earn 12 points on each dollar spent with Hilton hotels, 6 points on gas, supermarkets, and dining in the US, 4 points on US retail online purchases, and 3 points per dollar on all other purchases. Enjoy some great benefits during your Hilton stay, like, complimentary Gold status, (and possibly Diamond status), and a free night reward after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year.
- Credit: Fair credit is ok
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards. No Preset Spending Limit* cards are not included in this rule and do not get counted.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to - and including- 5 Amex credit cards (including personal and business), but this rule isn’t always enforced (please note the total of 5 credit cards excludes some Amex cards that are No Preset Spending Limit* cards like the Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, etc)
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Amex card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Amex is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report. With the new "Apply With Confidence" feature, Amex will first do only a soft pull on your credit report and will let you know if approved or not. Only after you accept the approval will Amex do a hard pull on your credit (this feature is currently only available on Amex consumer cards. See more details below)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
- Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex physical credit cards cannot be expedited (except for the platinum cards) and will arrive after 5-7 business days
- Downgrade options: The Amex Hilton Surpass card can be downgraded to the Amex Hilton ($0). Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $1,000-$30,000
Avg. Credit limit$7,535
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $50,000. You can purchase a premium plan from Amex that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
New! Get up to $200 credit for Hilton bookings. Get up to a $50 credit each quarter
Get one additional year on top of the original manufacturer’s warranty. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less. Max $10,000 each claim and $50,000 per year.
Get a free night hotel stay from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 within an anniversary year.
Get covered for lost or damaged luggage up to $500 per person for checked baggage and up to $1,250 per person for carry-on baggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Enjoy complimentary Hilton Gold Status.
Plus, earn Hilton Honors Diamond Status through the next calendar year after spending $40,000 annually.
New! National Car Rental Executive status
The points can be used at approximately half a penny per point to book free nights at one of the following Hilton hotel brands:
- Waldorf Astoria
- Signia Hilton
- Curio Collection
- Tapestry Collection
- Embassy Suites
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Homewood Suites
- Home Suites 2
- Hilton Grand Vacations