Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Discover It is a fairly easy credit card to get approved. Great US-based customer service. Plus, all cash back earned the first year will be matched!
- Credit: New credit ok. It is easy to get approved for the card if you write on the application that you're a student. However, they will almost always ask for a student letter, so you have to be able to prove that you're a student.
- Max cards: Discover will only approve you for one card every 12 months, and they only allow a total of 2 open Discover credit cards
- Credit bureau: Discover will usually pull your Experian credit report. If you freeze your Experian credit report then Discover will be glad to pull from either TransUnion or Equifax
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined. Note, Discover will only approve you for one credit card application within every twelve months. (Combining credit inquiries will only make a difference when declined for your first try and you want to try a new one)
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 347 2683
- Reconsideration: No reconsideration line
Quickest way to get my card: Discover will not offer an instant credit card number for your new card, and physical Discover credit cards cannot be expedited and will arrive after 5-7 business days
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $500-$25,000
Avg. Credit limit$6,922
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
- Balance transfer fee: 3%
- You cannot transfer balances from other credit cards issued by Discover
- To receive the Intro APR Offer, transfers must be completed within the first approx 60 days of account opening (Discover will give you the exact date on the cardmembers terms and conditions
- No penalty APR
- 5% cashback at rotating categories each quarter
- 1% cashback everywhere else
- All cashback earned the first year is matched
No foreign transaction fee.