Out of curiosity, I tallied up the cards in our credit card database to find out which cards are the most popular ones.
I was wondering which one of the cards are the most recent popular cards amongst our readers.
I was not shocked to find that the Chase Sapphire Preferred card wins, coming in by far, as the most popular card amongst our readers!!
You can check out the live results here.
Why the Sapphire Preferred is the most popular
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is popular most probably due to the following reasons.
Firstly, it currently has a great welcome offer of 80,000 points after spending $4,000 within the first 3 months. Plus, you get to earn a $50 credit on grocery purchases. This makes it a mega bonus that can be earned easily with just $4k spent in 3 months
Secondly, following are the comprehensive and super travel benefits and protections that come along with the card. Here’s a breakdown:
- Extra redemption value: Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Trip cancellation insurance: Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per person for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more.
- There’s no foreign transaction fee
- Auto rental collision insurance: Worldwide primary coverage on rentals for up to 31 days.
- Travel accident insurance: Get coverage if you, G-d forbid, die in an accident while traveling or lose a limb, sight, speech, or hearing (on common carriers). Receive up to $500,000 in compensation.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: Get up to $3,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage.
- Trip delay reimbursement: If your flight is delayed for 12+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items.
- Luggage delay insurance: If your baggage is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $100 per day to cover expenses like toiletries & clothing, for up to 5 days.
- Extended warranty protection: Get your original manufacturer’s warranty time-matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per account.
- Purchase protection: Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, or stolen for up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim $50,000 per year.
You get all of these travel benefits for a low annual fee of just $95. This makes the Sapphire Preferred card an awesome travel card for those that travel yet don’t travel enough to pay for a luxury travel card.
Next up - Citi Double Cash
Next in line for being the next most popular card according to our database, is the Citi Double Cash.
The Citi Double Cash does not have many benefits but it’s a good choice for someone looking for unlimited 2% cashback on all purchases, plus the cashback can be converted to ThankYou points if you have another card with Citi that earns ThankYou points.
The Citi Double Cash also offers 0% Apr for 18 months on balance transfers
3rd place -Chase Freedom Unlimited
The third most popular card is the Chase Freedom Unlimited.
The reason I think this card is popular is because it’s one of the easiest cards to get approved for at Chase bank (people prefer Chase cards over smaller issuers). Although the new Freedom Student Card is even an easier choice.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited card offers very good rewards including 5% cashback on Lyft Rides, 5% cashback on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% cashback at restaurants including takeout and delivery, 3% cashback at drugstores, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
Also, I often recommend the Chase Freedom Unlimited card for people looking to get approved for a high limit on 0% APR. The Chase Freedom Unlimited card offers 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and they often approve for nice credit limits. Plus, you have the option to reallocate your existing credit limits from other Chase cards to give you one huge credit limit, all with 0% APR for 15 months on purchases.
Did you recently apply for a credit card?
Report your application experience and approvals or denials in our live credit card database.