Capital One released the details of the long awaited luxury Capital One card. The card is called Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card and will be open for applications Tuesday, November 9, 2021. The card has some awesome perks plus the fee is pretty reasonable.
Let’s explore the card details and how they compare to the competitors.
The annual fee
The Venture X card has a great rewards earning structure:
- 10 points on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel
- 5 points on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Unlimited 2 points on all purchases
Capital One has recently made great improvement to their points program and now has 17 airline and hotel transfer partners. This gives Capital One points a great value, especially while you earn unlimited 2 points on all purchases!
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer time|
|Aeromexico, Club Premier||1:1||Instant|
|Air Canada, Aeroplan||1:1||Instant|
|Air France KLM, Flying Blue||1:1||Instant|
|British Airways, Executive Club||1:1||Instant|
|Cathay Pacific, Asia Miles||1:1||5 business days|
|Etihad Guest||1:1||24 hours|
|EVA Infinity, MileageLands||2:1.5||36 hours|
|Qantas, Frequent Flyer||1:1||24 hours|
|Singapore Airlines, KrisFlyer||1:1||36 hours|
|TAP Portugal, Miles&Go||1:1||Instant|
|Turkish Airlines, Miles&Smiles||1:1||Instant|
|Transfer Ratio||Transfer time|
|ALL Accor||2:1||1 business day|
|Choice Privileges||1:1||Transfers will not be available until later on this year|
$300 Capital One Travel credit
Cardholders will receive a $300 travel credit when booking any travel, including flight, hotel, and car, using the new and improved Capital One Travel portal.
Capital One recently partnered with Hooper and created a brand new experience to their travel portal. The travel portal offers competitive pricing and a whole lot of great perks not found anywhere else, including;
- Predictive booking feature: It lets you know when it’s the best time to book
- Price drop protection: If you use the predictive booking feature but later find that the price is cheaper on a different day then Capital One will match the price.
- Price freeze: This allows you to freeze a price and book later for up to 14 days
- Price match guarantee: Capital One will match any price you find anywhere else within 24 hours of booking.
All these benefits make it a no-brainer to book with the Capital One Travel portal. Plus, with the Venture X card, you will receive a $300 travel credit and up to 10 points for each dollar spent!
$100 TSA Precheck / Global Entry Credit
Enroll in TSA Precheck / Global Entry and receive a statement credit towards the fee paid.
Airport lounge access
The Venture X card includes access to two airport lounge programs:
- Priority Pass (with 2 free guests)
- The new Capital One lounges (coming shorty to Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, and Washington Dulles airports)
The best part! Authorized users are free and include their own Priority Pass and Capital One Lounge access.
Complimentary Hertz President's Circle Status
This is an awesome perk that comes along with the card. You and all your authorized users (which can be added for free) will be complimentary upgraded to Hertz President’s Circle. With Hertz President’s Circle, you can choose any car within the Presidents Circle line. This basically guarantees you super upgrades by Hertz and enables you to book a mid-size car and walk out with a luxury SUV!
Plus, almost all car rentals will gladly match your Hertz status to their own top-tier status. So with the Venture X card, you can lock-in top tier status at practically all national car rental companies.
10,000 anniversary bonus points
On every card anniversary, you will receive 10,000 bonus points (worth a minimum of $100 towards travel).
For someone that will spend at least $400 in travel per year, between the $300 travel credit and the 10,000-anniversary points they’ll get a total of $400 value towards travel, which effectively erases the full $395 annual fee!
The card will include the following coverages:
- Primary car rental insurance
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- Trip delay insurance
- Trip cancelation insurance
- Cell phone protection
- Extended warranty protection
What is the card missing?
There is a lot of good stuff coming to the card and the annual fee is extremely reasonable as well. But to note, here are a few things missing that I would love to see added or changed.
- Bonus redemption value when redeeming points through Capital One Travel (similar to the Chase Sapphire 1.5 value)
- Capital One still pulls all three credit bureaus (please stop this already!)
- I’m still waiting for a response from Capital One to clarify regarding the travel protections and purchase protections but I hope they will be in par with Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum
So to sum it up
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card will get a lot of fanfare when released . The benefits are awesome, particularly the free Hertz Presidential Circle for and your authorized user and the free lounge access for you and your authorized user (this is huge because authorized users are free). The annual fee of $395 is very reasonable and can easily be erased through the $300 Capital One Travel credit and 10,000 points anniversary bonus. So you can easily get the card with an erased annual fee plus all these awesome travel perks and great rewards! So stay tuned. Tuesday is the big day!