Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card requires a low-security deposit of $49, $99 or $200 (based on approval). It is a great starting point for those looking to start building credit.
- Credit: Secured Credit Card - No Credit Needed
- Max cards: Capital One will only let you have a maximum of 2 personal Capital One branded credit cards. (This excludes co-branded credit cards like the Capital One Walmart Rewards card.)
- You can only get approved for 1 Capital One card every 6 months (not always enforced)
- Credit bureau: Capital One will usually pull your Experian, Transunion, and Equifax credit reports
- If you freeze one credit bureau you can still get approved (the credit bureau you freeze cannot be Transunion)
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined. Note, Capital One will only approve you for one credit card application within every six months. (Combining credit inquiries will only make a difference when declined for your first try and you want to try a new one)
- Check application status: You can check your application status by calling 1 800 903 9177 or 1 877 277 5901
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 625 7866 to be reconsidered (Capital One will usually only reconsider an application due to application error)
Quickest way to get my card: Your new card will be available in your Capital One app immediately after you get approved (you might need the 3 digit security code on the back of your card to access it, which means you must wait for your physical card to arrive). Capital One physical credit cards cannot be expedited, only sometimes for replacement cards for a fee
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $351-$500
Avg. Credit limit$426
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
No foreign transaction fee.
Discontinued after 09/01/21: Worldwide secondary coverage for collision damage and theft on rentals. Coverage is for rentals up to 31 days. Covers vehicle with MSRP up to $50,000.
Discontinued after 09/01/21: Get your original manufacturer's warranty time doubled. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 2 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim.
Get reimbursed for up to $600 per claim with a $50 deductible if your cell phone breaks or is stolen. To activate coverage you need to pay your monthly cell phone bill with your credit card. (max $1,000 or two claims per year, whichever is less).
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $1,000 per claim, $25,000 per year.
Discontinued after 09/01/21: If you buy an item and then within 120 days find the identical item for cheaper at any US retailer, then you will be reimbursed the difference. Up to $500 per item and up to 4 claims per year.