Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Chase Freedom Student credit card is an easy credit card to get approved for even for starters. It is recommended to have a Chase bank account for a minimum of six months before applying for the Chase Freedom Student card. You can get your credit limit raised by making on-time payments for 5 months within the first 10 months.
- Update: This card is no longer available for new applicants.
- Credit: Fair credit ok. It's recommended to have an existing Chase bank account for six months
- Student letter: Chase often requests applicants to provide a student letter in order to get approved
- Chase 5/24 rule: Chase will decline an applicant that has opened 5 or more cards (other issuers included) in the past 24 months. Hence, 5/24 rule
- Max cards: You can get approved for up to 2 Chase credit cards in 30 days. Business cards and personal cards are counted separately
- Apply for two cards: If you apply for one Chase card and get approved, it is recommended to apply for a second card since Chase is very good about approving for two cards, even within the same day. If the first application is still pending, wait for it to be approved before you apply for a second card
- Double dipping: If you currently have this card open, Chase may not approve you for another one.
- Credit bureau: Chase Bank will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Some data points suggest that credit inquiries for all Personal Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined; also, credit inquiries for all Business Chase cards for same-day applications will be combined. Credit inquiries for Personal and Business card applications will not be combined.
- Check application status: You can check your application status at Chase.com / Customer Center / Check my app status or call 1 888 338 2586
- Reconsideration: If you get declined then you can call 1 888 609 7805 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: You will be able to add your new card to your mobile wallet immediately after you get approved (it can sometimes take up to an hour for it to show up in your online login). You can also request Chase to overnight your physical card by calling Chase customer service.
Approval Monitor (submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users)
Credit limit range $500-$3,500
Avg. Credit limit$1,522
Disclosure: These results are based on information submitted by HelpMeBuildCredit users. Credit card approval results are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. Neither HelpMeBuildCredit nor the bank advertiser's take any responsibility on the accuracy of the information.
HelpMeBuildCredit credit ranges are a variation of FICO®️ Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit card application
Receive $20 after every account anniversary if your accounts are in good standing, for up to 5 years.
New! Receive a $10 Instacart statement credit each quarter plus a free Instacart+ membership for 3 months
Get your original manufacturer’s warranty time matched (up to a year). (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 3 years or less).
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged or stolen, up to 120 days from the date of purchase. Max $500 per claim, $50,000 per account.
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency, etc. Max $1,500 per passenger and $6,000 per trip for non-refundable flight tickets.