Help Me Build Credit has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Help Me Build Credit and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone.
The Platinum Card from American Express is a super luxury travel card, offering many benefits for travel and hotel stays in general. You get 5 points for flights booked directly through airlines, a $200 annual airline incidental fee credit, free global entry and TSA precheck, complimentary Hilton and Marriot Gold status, and free access to over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide. Amex offers platinum concierge service. Get $15 in Uber cash for monthly rides, up to $200 annually. The card also has many great travel and purchase protections like return protection, baggage insurance, and more!
- Credit: Good credit needed
- Amex 90-day rule: In a time span of 90 days, you can only get approved for 2 Amex cards.
- Only one Platinum in 90 days: Amex has three personal Platinum cards 1) The Amex Platinum 2) The Morgan Stanley Platinum, 3) The Schwab Platinum. You can only get one of the three Platinums in a 90 day period.
- Max cards: You can only get approved for up to and including- 10 Amex No Preset Spending Limit* cards. (This rule is not always enforced)
- Credit bureau: Amex will usually pull your Experian credit report
- Combining same-day credit inquiries: Credit inquiries for same-day applications will be combined, as long as they are both approved for on the same day. Note, for some existing Amex credit cardholders, Amex will not do a hard credit pull when applying for a new credit card at any time
- Check application status: You can check your application status here or call 1 800 567 1083
- Reconsideration: If declined you can call 1 800 567 1083 to be reconsidered
Quickest way to get my card: Amex will sometimes give you an instant credit card number after approval, but not always. Amex Platinum physical cards will automatically be expedited and delivered overnight.
- Downgrade options: The Amex Platinum Consumer card can be downgraded to the Amex Green Consumer card ($150) or to the Amex Gold Consumer ($250) card. Please note, it is not recommended to downgrade an Amex card before 12 months of account opening.
No foreign transaction fee.
Hilton Gold status.
Marriott Gold status.
National Emerald Club Executive status.
Avis Preferred Club status (publicly available).
Hertz Gold Plus status, plus, get free upgrades, an extra 4 hours to return your car, and one free additional driver.
Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check every 4-4.5 years.
Access to 1,200+ airport lounges, with a complimentary membership to Priority Pass Select:
Delta Skyclub lounges (when flying Delta)
Select Lufthansa lounges (when flying Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, or Swiss)
Coverage for canceled or interrupted travel due to an unforeseen medical emergency etc. Max $10,000 per person per trip, max $20,000 per year for non-refundable travel expenses including flight tickets, hotels, and more.
Secondary worldwide coverage on rentals up to 30 days (excluding Australia, Italy, and New Zealand). Max $75,000. You can purchase an Amex premium plan that will offer primary coverage up to 42 days. Max $100,000.
Get up to $2,000 per person for lost or damaged luggage. Max $10,000 per trip for NY residents.
If your flight is delayed for 6+ hours, you can claim up to $500 per trip to cover expenses like meals, lodging, toiletries, medication, and other personal use items. Max 2 claims per year.
Not happy with a purchase? Get a refund on purchases that have passed the store return policy - up to 90 days from date of purchase. Max $300 per claim, max $1,000 per year.
Get one additional year to your original manufacturer's warranty time. (Will only cover if the original warranty is for 5 years or less). Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.
Get reimbursed for up to $800 per claim (with a $50 deductible) if your cell phone is damaged or gets stolen. To activate coverage, you need to pay your monthly cell phone bill with your Platinum credit card. Max 2 claims per year.
Get refunded if your purchase is damaged, lost, or stolen, up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Max $10,000 per claim, $50,000 per year.